16 August 2009

Indian Independence Day

There is a long nature walk around the outskirts of campus. As always, the scenery is beautiful!



the fence surrounding the pond glides into the water! There isn't a ramp, its just as if the builder couldn't just stop at the bank.




The Te Apiti windfarm from a closer vantage point.

This weekend, I decided to attend the Indian Independence Day event being held in town. The flyer was passed on to me by my anthropology professor, and so having nothing else to do, I went.

Once again, I went into this event thinking it would be similar to events held in the states. I was picturing a festival of sorts. Of course I was dead wrong. Most of the Indian community and myself came together in this small school gymnasium. The crowd was large, the building small. Everyone I encountered was extremely nice and outgoing. We were all in our traditional dress. Me in my jeans and tshirt, and the women in colourful saris and the men in vests and curly toed shoes.

From an anthropological perspective it was enlightening. The young revere the old, giving up seats and making sure they are able to get through the crowds. People stand close together like packed sardines. The auditorium seats were packed and people took to sitting in the aisles.

Once I got my camera out, the surrounding crowd ushered me into the gym and instructed me to sit on the floor and take photos. {please note, without a tripod the photos are a bit dark and grainy, and all taken from the same vantage point, my apologies.}

The program was hosted by the Manawatu Bangalee Society and began with speeches from the local heads of government, then the children put on many songs and dances that they had been learning throughout the year. A slide show presentation was enjoyed accompanied by live singers. This particular presentation chronicled India's Independence History, highlighting the key battles and important revolutionary leaders. This year marks India's 63rd year of freedom. {I can honestly say I learned a bit during this segment}

The last hour or so each Indian state was represented with a traditional song and dance.








This little boy stole the show! He danced with such confidence and conviction!




These guys were the last to perform {I believe its called the Punjabi} and the crowd was getting a bit rowdy! The song was remixed with a few rap lyrics thrown in for good fun. Everyone was hollering and cheering and dancing in their seats! As you can see in the photo they began the dance with the attitude of a rapper and then busted out these wooden accordions. Honestly, they rocked it! .



No comments:

Post a Comment